Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] abspath.h file is generated by makeheaders tool

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:51:56 -0700

Đoàn Trần Công Danh  <[email-masked]> writes:

> This will break cross-compilation.
> At the very least, we needs to use either HOSTCC (likes linux project),
> HOST_CC or CC_FOR_BUILD (GNU Autotools' convention) to compile
> makeheaders
>
> So, something like (not tested, whatsoever):

I find it a bit irresponsible to leave the suggestion sounding as if
this is a good idea as long as it does not break cross-compilation,
which will (mis)lead the original poster to waste even more time on
this topic (and waste others' time on responding to it), so let me
repeat what I already said a few times.

Whether the headers mechanically generated gets committed or not,
this line of change is unwelcome.  Developers should be able to look
at the header files (and interface document, if we ever generate one
out of structured comments in the header files) when using common
functions that they are not (yet) familiar with, and we want to see
our header files manually curated.

Thanks.