Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] rebase --update-refs: smooth out some rough edges

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 09:53:48 -0700

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 01:29:58PM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
>> On 9/30/2022 10:09 AM, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
>> > A couple of cleanups and fixes to a new 'git rebase --update-refs' feature
>> > introduced in the current release cycle.
>
>> Junio: I don't think any of this needs to rush into v2.38.0, since
>> they are mostly cosmetic changes and helping users get out of bad
>> situations.
>
> I do think that we shouldn't have a release where an 'update-ref'
> instruction can update anything outside the refs/ hierarchy, so we
> don't have to worry about potential backwards incompatibility when we
> restrict it later or add DWIMery.
The thing is, the changes we did relative to v2.37 in order to have
the update-refs feature had some time to cook to show to those who
use pre-release versions that even with these changes, the other
parts of the system, especially "rebase", weren't negatively
affected with unintended bugs, at least in the use cases they have.
This 6-patch series right off the press that are _intended_ to touch
only the update-refs feature had none.  It simply is too late in the
cycle.

So I doubt that it is safer to ship the release with them than
without.  They could be in the zero-th batch in the next cycle,
though.

Thanks.