Subject: Re: Suggestion for 'git add' CLI

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 12:31:05 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> hi there, I have a suggestion about git CLI.when I use 'git add -A' or
> 'git add --all' it stages all of my files but when I use git add 
> <file_name> it adds the file name to the stage, not all files. but
> when I use ' git add <file_name> --all ' it also works and adds all
> the files to the stage. I think it's better to provide a warning for
> this situation. thank you.

If "git add -A Documentation/" silently ignores the pathspec and
does not limit the application of "-A" to the Documentation
directory, then I think that is a bug worth fixing.

    $ git init trash && cd trash
    $ mkdir t s
    $ >t/1 && >s/2
    $ git add -A t
    $ git ls-files
    t/1

It does seem to honor the pathspec "t" and refrains from adding s/2
to the index, so I do not think there is anything to fix here,
though.

By the way, on the command line of "git", dashed command options
come before the non-dashed command line arguments, so make it a
habit to spell "git --add <file_name>".