Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/12] c99: use more designated initializers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 11:53:55 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is probably a bit premature given that we still are treating the
> C99-isms as weather balloons. The idea was to keep things in an
> easily-revertable state for at least a couple of major versions.
>
> The referenced changes are only in core Git as of v2.34.0, and we are not
> even half-way through the v2.36.0 cycle.

The proposed commit log messages need updating.  By refering to much
newer commits created by the same author, instead of the beginning
of the official weather balloon experiments, it created an unnecessary
confusion.

Read the CodingGuidelines document.  Everybody knows what it says by
heart by now, right? ;-)

   . since mid 2017 with cbc0f81d, we have been using designated
     initializers for struct (e.g. "struct t v = { .val = 'a' };").

   . since mid 2017 with 512f41cf, we have been using designated
     initializers for array (e.g. "int array[10] = { [5] = 2 }").

I do not think doing this in early 2022 is still premature.

I hate to having to deal with such a tree-wide churn, though.  I'd
rather see "let's do this only on quiescent part of the tree a small
bit at a time" like on imap-send.c but not involving anything known
to be actively touched, like ref backends.

Thanks.