Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] Add a new --remerge-diff capability to show & log

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:20:40 -0800

"Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Here are some patches to add a --remerge-diff capability to show & log,
> which works by comparing merge commits to an automatic remerge (note that
> the automatic remerge tree can contain files with conflict markers).
>
> Changes since original submission[1]:
>
>  * Rebased on top of the version of ns/tmp-objdir that Neeraj submitted
>    (Neeraj's patches were based on v2.34, but ns/tmp-objdir got applied on
>    an old commit and does not even build because of that).

Oh, that's bad.  I wish people do not rebase their updates on top of
newer 'master' only for the sake of it, once an older version is
queued.

>  * Modify ll-merge API to return a status, instead of printing "Cannot merge
>    binary files" on stdout[2] (as suggested by Peff)

I wondered if we want to do the same for other error messages to
give callers greater control, but this change by itself already
looks quite good.

>  * Make conflict messages and other such warnings into diff headers of the
>    subsequent remerge-diff rather than appearing in the diff as file content
>    of some funny looking filenames (as suggested by Peff[3] and Junio[4])

OK.

>  * Sergey ack'ed the diff-merges.c portion of the patches, but that wasn't
>    limited to one patch so not sure where to record that ack.

On that single patch?