Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation/howto: tracking git.git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 09:57:38 +0900

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 14/05/21 20.49, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> +Available Branches
>>> +------------------
>>> +
>>> +There are several branches on git.git with different purposes:
>>> +
>>> +master::
>>> +This is the most stable branch. Changes (topics) that are merged
>>> +to master should have been stabilized in next and suitable for
>>> +production use. Feature releases (vX.Y.0) are cut from this
>>> +branch.
>> Isn't "maint" meant to be more stable?
>> 
>
> I think "maint" is maintenance branch for latest feature release.
> For feature stabilization it happens on "main", so "master" is fully
> polished.

With the status of being back-then-most polished plus only fixes and
no unnecessary new features that can introduce unstability yet to be
discovered, by definition 'maint' ought to be "more stable" than
'master', no?

In any case, as Đoàn Trần Công Danh pointed out, I think we have
most of these written down elsewhere, and it is easier for readers
if we can find a way to reorganize them and incorporate new stuff
that is brought in by this proposal.