Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] diff-merges: let -m imply -p

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 13:14:59 +0900

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Fix long standing inconsistency between -c/--cc that do imply -p, on
> one side, and -m that did not imply -p, on the other side.
>
> After this patch
>
>   git log -m
>
> will start to produce diffs without need to provide -p as well, that
> improves both consistency and usability. It gets even more useful if
> one sets "log.diffMerges" configuration variable to "first-parent" to
> force -m produce usual diff with respect to first parent only.

Please make sure that you clearly state that you do not blindly
force --patch output in the proposed log message.  Explicitly
mentioning that "git log --stat -m" would not give a patch but just
diffstat would be assuring.

Also this needs a test to ensure that is what happens.  Having a
test for "log -m" and another for "log -m --stat" would be
sufficient.

And in the context of this step, the rename of the member in the
previous step makes quite a lot of sense.

Thanks for working on this topic.