Subject: Re: Bug Report: Multi-line trailers containing empty lines break parsing

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:39:13 -0700

Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I thought that blank lines should not appear in the trailers. And
> if any appears, it means that the trailers should start after the last
> blank line.

I think that is a good principle to stick to.

>> >  - if the second "multi:" trailer did not have the funny blank line
>> >    before "_two", the expected output would still be "multi:"
>> >    followed by "one two three", iow, the line after the second
>> >    "multi: one" is a total no-op?  If we added many more " \n" lines
>> >    there, they are all absorbed and ignored?  It somehow feels wrong
>>
>> That's definitely the outcome of this patch, but I agree it feels wrong.
>> I'm not sure that we define the behavior that strictly in
>> git-interpret-trailers(1), so we have some wiggle room, I guess.
>
> Any patch to relax how blank lines and other aspects of trailers
> parsing in my opinion should come with some documentation change to
> explain what we now accept and what we don't accept, and also tests to
> enforce that.

OK.  But do we document clearly what we accept and we don't before
any change?