Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/4] tests: get rid of $_x05 from the test suite

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 09:40:03 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>  test_expect_success 'ls-tree --abbrev=5' '
>>>  	git ls-tree --abbrev=5 $tree >current &&
>>> -	sed -e "s/ $_x05[0-9a-f]*	/ X	/" <current >check &&
>>> +	sed -e "s/ [0-9a-f]*	/ X	/" <current >check &&
>>>  	cat >expected <<\EOF &&
>>>  100644 blob X	1.txt
>>>  100644 blob X	2.txt
>>
>> This one is particularly iffy.  The --abbrev=5 test is designed to
>> ensure that the resulting abbreviated object names are at least 5
>> hexdigits long, even when the repository is so small that only 4
>> hexdigits are sufficient to avoid ambiguity, while allowing the
>> output to be longer than specified 5 (when 5 turns out to be
>> insufficient for disambiguation).
>>
>> So, I dunno.
>
> Yes, I think this patch should be dropped. Do you mind just dropping the
> 4/4 and having it be a 3-patch series? I can also re-submit a v2 like
> that if it's easier...

As long as the earlier three are good to go, I can just cut the tip
of the branch, or just drop it all now and send a three-patch series
after the release.  Either is fine.

> My assumption in writing this patch was that it was fine because we test
> the details of abbrev behavior somewhere else, surely...

I expected that the test whose title is "ls-tree --abbrev=5" is
targetted towards testing the details of abbrev behaviour.  Isn't
that the case?

Is the same assumption brought silent breakages to the other two
patches to the tests, by chance?  I only gave cursory look on them
and don't think anybody else looked at them carefully.