Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 3/8] builtin/pack-objects.c: add '--stdin-packs' option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 00:07:52 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> (I found it convenient while developing this patch to have 'git
> pack-objects' report the number of objects which were visited and got
> their namehash fields filled in during traversal. This is also included
> in the below patch via trace2 data lines).

It does sound like a well thought out strategy to give name-hash to
entries that we may have to find good delta bases afresh, while
stopping upon hitting parts of the history we won't have to (either
because they are in "excluded" packs, which you did here, or because
they can take advantage of the "reuse existing delta base" logic [*],
which we may want to look further into in future follow-on topics).

[Footnote]

* I presume that such a logic may, instead of stopping at an object
  that is in an excluded pack, stop at an object that is stored in
  the current pack as a delta and its base is also going to be
  packed (and the latter by definition is always true, I presume, as
  everything in the included pack would be packed)