Subject: Re: [Question] Is extensions.partialClone defunct?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:17:40 -0700

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:51:51AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Jonathan Tan wrote:
>> > Derrick Stolee wrote:
>>
>> >> but it appears that we rely on the "remote.<name>.promisor = true"
>> >> setting instead of this extension.
>> >
>> > Hmm...besides giving the name of the promisor remote, the
>> > extensions.partialClone setting is there to prevent old versions of Git
>> > (that do not know this extension) from manipulating the repo.
>
> Manipulating it how?

Presumably if the version of Git does not assume that sometimes
missing objects are OK, its "fsck" and "repack" would become very
upset when a repository lacks very many objects because the version
of Git that created it assumes they can be lazily fetched, no?