Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge-recursive: ignore_case shouldn't reject intentional removals

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 08:39:41 +0900

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As a fix, this sorely wants something new in t/ directory.
>
> Well, then perhaps I was wrong to submit it independent of my
> directory rename series.  As noted in the (very lengthy) extended
> commit message explanation, the assumption the previous code made just
> happened to work ...

Here is what I wrote in What's cooking draft (which automatically
gets copied to the merge log message and becomes part of release
notes when a topic graduates) for this thing.  Am I on the right
track?

    The code internal to the recursive merge strategy was not fully
    prepared to see a path that is renamed to try overwriting another
    path that is only different in case on case insensitive systems.
    This does not matter in the current code, but will start to matter
    once the rename detection logic starts taking hints from nearby
    paths moving to some directory and moves a path that is otherwise
    not changed along with them.