Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/1] Introduce git add --renormalize .

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 02:34:56 +0900

[email-masked] writes:

> From: Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]>
>
> Make it safer to normalize the line endings in a repository:
> Files that had been commited with CRLF will be commited with LF.
> (Unless core.autorclf and .gitattributes specify that Git
>  should not do line ending conversions)

A few issues I saw after a quick read:

 - The log message tells us old and new ways, but does not make it
   clear why users are encouraged to use the new way at all.  You
   didn't make the implementation of "add --renormalize" to just
   start "git add" without calling read_cache() and letting all
   files added new to the index (which is how the old way worked) to
   give a sugarcoated equivalent of the old way for a reason, and
   that should be desribed in the log.

 - An ugly global variable is introduced instead of passing
   necessary information through the callchain properly, but the
   title does not say PATCH/RFC.

 - The documentation makes it sound as if this new feature is _only_
   about CRLF vs LF.  SHouldn't this equally apply after the user
   changes .gitattributes settings that govern the "clean" side of
   the filter and makes what is in the index "unclean"?

The second point is a showstopper from maintainability's point of
view, but none of the above should be insurmojntable.

Thanks.