Subject: Re: your mail

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 22:23:17 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +You don't need to be subscribed to the list to send mail to it, and
>> +others on-list will generally CC you when replying (although some
>> +forget this). It's adviced to subscribe to the list if you want to be
>> +sure you're not missing follow-up discussion, or if your interest in
>> +the project is wider than a one-off bug report, question or patch.
>> +
>>  The maintainer frequently sends the "What's cooking" reports that
>>  list the current status of various development topics to the mailing
>>  list.  The discussion following them give a good reference for
>
> You perhaps already read it, but you may want to steal wording or
> suggestions from the mailing list section at:
>
>   https://git-scm.com/community
>
> which is covering the same ideas (and vice versa, patches to that page
> are welcome if the README says something better).

OK, so... Ævar's version does not mention:

 - text/plain, which is a very good addition.

 - note about CC in a way as useful as the "community" page does,
   which may want to steal from the latter.

 - the archive, but it may not be needed in the context of this
   document.  "Read the archive to make sure you are not repeating
   somebody else said before speaking" is something we silently wish
   everybody to follow, but it is something we do not want to say
   out loud, especially to new people.

 - Windows, but I am not sure if it is necessary or even healthy.
   One thing I would rather not to see is the Windows mailing list
   becomes the first line triage place for any and all issues that
   were experienced by a user who happened to be using Windows, and
   majority of the issues turn out to be unspecific to Windows.  I'd
   suspect that all of us rather would want to see the referral go
   the other way around.

Otoh, "community" page does not encourage subscription as a way to
ensure you'll see follow-up discussion, which may be a good thing to
add.

A tangent I just found funny is this paragraph on the "community"
page:

    The archive can be found on public-inbox. Click here to
    subscribe.

Of course clicking does not take you to a subscription page for
public-inbox, even though the two sentences appear to be related.

Perhaps swap the order of the two, like so, with a bit richer
explanation taken from Ævar's version:

	... disable HTML in your outgoing messages.

	By subscribing (click here), you can make sure you're not
	missing follow-up discussion and also learn from other
	development in the community.  The list archive can be found
	on public-inbox.