Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/11] git worktree (re)move

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:20:05 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does this round address the issue raised in 
>
>   http://public-inbox.org/git/alpine.DEB.2.20.1611161041040.3746@virtualbox
>
> by Dscho?
>
> Even if you are not tracking a fifo, for example, your working tree
> may have one created in t/trash* directory during testing, and
> letting platform "cp -r" taking care of it (if that is possible---I
> didn't look at the code that calls busybox copy to see if you are
> doing something exotic or just blindly copying everything in the
> directory) may turn out to be a more portable way to do this, and I
> suspect that the cost of copying one whole-tree would dominate the
> run_command() overhead.

Please do not take the above as me saying "you must spawn the
platform cp -r".  

A more traditional alternative solution seen on this list is to work
together, leveraging expertise of each participant.  From the build
log Dscho gave us, it seems that his Windows port lack at least
POSIX emulation for lchown, mknod, utimes and chown.  It is hard to
decide without involving Windows expert what the best way to deal
with it in the code (e.g. To stub or #ifdef out these calls?
Provide suitable emulation in compat/?  Something else?), and what
things other than these four are still missing.