Subject: Re: [PATCH v10 5/5] help: respect new common command grouping

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 10:15:26 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hmm, but is it necessary to explain the group labels in the first
> place? The help output (group labels and all) seems self-explanatory
> already, and one would expect (hope) that readers are intelligent
> enough to understand implicitly that the group labels are a simple
> organizational aid.

I am not so sure about that.  For one thing, the groups are not
exhaustive enumeration of all the workflow elements, but just a list
of the more common ones.  I think the target audience of this round,
which is different from the target audience of the "alphabetical
list", range from those who do not have a clue where to start and do
not know how their work that revolves around use of Git could be
structured.  And "not yet being familiar with the way how things are
often done with Git" is certainly different from them being "not
intelligent enough".

More experienced people can do without the explanation, or without
grouping for that matter.  We are not the target audiences.

> Anyhow, it's just a minor observation, and it's something people can
> argue later if they feel strongly about it, so I don't think it should
> hold up this patch series.

Yeah, I agree with that.