Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Allow building Git with Asciidoctor

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:43:33 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:08:19AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 11:37:32PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
>> >
>> > Specifically I'm not excited about getting into a state where we have to
>> > maintain both an asciidoc.conf file _and_ ruby extensions for
>> > asciidoctor. I don't mind if somebody wants to step up and keep the
>> > asciidoctor bits in sync with the asciidoc.conf, but I feel like one of
>> > them needs to be considered the "master".
>> 
>> I do not mind to have the machinery to run AsciiDoctor too much in
>> my tree.  It may make it easier for those who use it to spot places
>> in *.txt that need (in)compatibility workarounds between the two
>> formatters than keeping it outside.
>
> Alternately, I'm happy to be responsible for maintaining the
> extensions.rb file.

Let's see how well the patches 3 and 4 work for other people with
AsciiDoctor and then decide to go in that direction.

I do not forsee that changes to allow our *.txt to be used with
AsciiDoctor interfere with what GitHub folks do with their own
documentation toolchain, but I am not sure how the AsciiDoctor
specific alternative build infrastructure we would eventually ship
would interact with them---maybe they are not affected at all, or
maybe they can even take advantage of it.

Thanks.