Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Allow building Git with Asciidoctor

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:08:19 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 11:37:32PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
>
> Specifically I'm not excited about getting into a state where we have to
> maintain both an asciidoc.conf file _and_ ruby extensions for
> asciidoctor. I don't mind if somebody wants to step up and keep the
> asciidoctor bits in sync with the asciidoc.conf, but I feel like one of
> them needs to be considered the "master".

My so-far-unstated inclination, since seeing the patch to fix the
unbalanced example block separators from Brian (which was outside
and before this four-patch series), has been to keep our Makefile in
Documentation/ aware only of AsciiDoc while maintaining *.txt files
in a state so that AsciiDoctor could also be used to process them,
if people want to futz with their copies of Documentation/Makefile.

I do not mind to have the machinery to run AsciiDoctor too much in
my tree.  It may make it easier for those who use it to spot places
in *.txt that need (in)compatibility workarounds between the two
formatters than keeping it outside.

But somebody needs to maintain that machinery and that will not be
me.

Thanks.