Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] git-rebase: Teach rebase "-" shorthand.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:02:01 -0700

John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:53:01AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>>    "rebase -" with your change still says something like this:
>> 
>>         First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
>>         Fast-forwarded HEAD to @{-1}.
>> 
>>    instead of "Fast-forwarded HEAD to -".  Somebody may later want
>>    to "fix" this, making these two eye-candy output to be different
>>    from each other, and what your test expects will no longer hold
>>    (not that I think it is better to say "-" instead of @{-1}
>>    there).
>
> I don't think either of these is correct.  When using "-" with the
> commands that already support it, I have occasionally found that "-"
> isn't what I thought it was.
>
> Can we use `git name-rev` to put the actual name here, so that people
> who have not done what they intended can hopefully notice sooner?

That sounds like a right thing to do.  It however is totally
orthogonal to the change we are discussing, and should be done as a
separate patch.

Thanks.