Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] [GSoC] userdiff: adding typescript pattern

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2026 17:42:26 -0700

"Dhruv Arora via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Description
> ===========
>
>  * Add builtin userdiff pattern for TypeScript files. Recognizes function
>    declarations, class definitions, arrow functions, and method definitions.
>    
>    * Handles common modifiers like export, async, static, etc
>
>  * Added tests for the typescript pattern in userdiff.
>
> Dhruv Arora (2):
>   userdiff: adding typescript pattern
>   fix(userdiff): sorted pattern and tests

We frown upon a patch series that makes mistakes in an earlier step,
only to fix them in a later step.  The "git rebase -i" command helps
us pretend to be more perfect developers than we actually are,
whipping your patch series into a shape that builds one small step
on top of another in a logical succession.  Such a patch series is
easier to understand than a history that faithfully records all the
stumbles the developer made until they reached the final solution.

Just have a single patch that adds the right pattern at the right
place and add necessary tests.

When/if your reviewers suggest further changes, the way you should
work on them is the same.  Pretend as if you discarded everything
you did, started from scratch, and reached the ideal result without
making any mistakes or taking any detours along the way.

Thanks.

>  t/t4018/typescript-class-method         |  7 +++++++
>  t/t4018/typescript-export-default-class |  7 +++++++
>  t/t4018/typescript-export-function      |  7 +++++++
>  userdiff.c                              | 15 +++++++++++++++
>  4 files changed, 36 insertions(+)
>  create mode 100644 t/t4018/typescript-class-method
>  create mode 100644 t/t4018/typescript-export-default-class
>  create mode 100644 t/t4018/typescript-export-function
>
>
> base-commit: ce74208c2fa13943fffa58f168ac27a76d0eb789
> Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-2251%2FDhruv-0-Arora%2Fuserdiff%2Ftypescript-pattern-v1
> Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-2251/Dhruv-0-Arora/userdiff/typescript-pattern-v1
> Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/2251