Subject: Re: Question about microprojects for GSoC

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2026 10:27:17 -0700

MOHAMED AYMAN <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Mohamed Ayman and I am an engineering student specializing
> in embedded systems. I am interested in applying to Google Summer of
> Code with the Git project.
>
> I am currently setting up my development environment and reviewing the
> recommended microprojects to become familiar with the Git workflow and
> contribution process.
>
> If anyone has advice on a good starting microproject or areas where new
> contributors could help, I would greatly appreciate the guidance.
>
> Best regards,
> Mohamed Ayman

Where did you hear about the need for GSoC applicant to finish one
microproject as a requirement for application?  That place should
have links to microprojects ideas.

https://git.github.io/General-Microproject-Information/ is one of
the canonical starting point.

No microprojects done by new contributors "could help" us, as a
microproject by definition is a trivial "Hello world" project that
is to help new contributors dip their toes in the water, getting
introduced to the development process.  Look at the list archive
https://lore.kernel.org/git and see what other aspiring GSoC
applicants are already working on.

Have fun.