Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/1] Allow reworking with a file when making hunk decisions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2026 09:04:04 -0800

Abraham Samuel Adekunle <[email-masked]> writes:

> If there is only one file, neither of the options will be
> available, if we are in the second of three or more file, both '<'
> and '>' will be available and if we are at the last file, only '<'
> will be available.

An obvious alternative would be to treat the files as a ring, going
next from the last one would take you to the first one, etc., but I
think what you described is just as good.

> This will enable simultaneous hunk decisions between between files.
> After all decisions have been made in a file, a prompt shows which asks
> "All hunks decided. What now?" that allows reworking with the file,
> moving to the next or previous file as the case may be.

I forgot to mention this in the previous review, but this would be a
change that existing users may be surprised by.  We _might_ need to
introduce a flag to enable this as a new and optional feature.

> The decision to use 'q' as a submit is because after some or all
> the decisions have been made in a file, 'q' submits them as is
> even though in the `help_patch_text` it say `q` will not stage the
> current hunk and all hunks after it.

The users do need to _knowingly_ leave some hunks undecided and
apply what they already decided to use, and I think 'q' is an
appropriate option to use.  It is what the current system does,
and I do not think it changes with this new feature.

Thanks.