Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] xdiff: Remove unneeded members from xrecord_t and xdlclass_t

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2026 09:35:21 -0800

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
>
> This series has a couple of cleanups on top of 'en/xdiff-cleanup-2'
> that reduce the sizes of the xrecord_t and xdlclass_t. Unfortunately
> they conflict with 'en/xdiff-cleanup-3' in seen, in particular with
> db8a50ca6b9 (xdiff: don't waste time guessing the number of lines,
> 2026-01-02). I'm not particularly convinced that moving the call to
> xdl_classify_record() out of xdl_prepare_ctx() in that commit is
> a good idea, but if we decide that we do want to stop classifying
> lines in xdl_prepare_ctx() we can start passing the hashes out in a
> separate array rather than wasting space in xrecord_t.

Both patches look well reasoned and sensible.

It is unfortunate that the en/xdiff-cleanup-3 wants to pull these
fields in a different direction, but the topic has been dormant for
quite a while, so let's tentatively kick it out of 'seen' and see
how well this one does, until we decide how to consolidate the two
topics.  Thanks.