Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Nov 2025, #07; Sun, 23)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2025 10:26:28 -0800

"D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2025 at 11:59 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> [New Topics]
>>
>> * jc/optional-path (2025-11-20) 3 commits
>>  - config: really treat missing optional path as not configured
>>  - config: really pretend missing :(optional) value is not there
>>  - config: mark otherwise unused function as file-scope static
>>
>>  "git config get --path" segfaulted on an ":(optional)path" that
>>  does not exist, which has been corrected.
>>
>>  Will merge to 'next'?
>>  source: <[email-masked]>
>
> Any interest in also marking this for 2.52.1? It's unlikely to be used
> much yet, but since the segfault affects several invocations (git
> blame, etc.) it will be irritating to folks who try the recently
> released version.

Yes, this is a clear regression-fix material.  The branch you are
commenting on is designed to be merge-able anywhere the original
topic that had the segfault can be (or has been) merged, by building
directly on top of ccfcaf39 (parseopt: values of pathname type can
be prefixed with :(optional), 2025-09-28), which was the tip of the
original topic.