Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 0/4] config: read both home and xdg files for --global

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2025 16:28:34 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> For the record, my "Reviewed-by:" still stands, if lack of reviews should
> be the reason why this patch series has not even entered the `seen`
> branch.

Thanks for pinging.

"Why is it not in 'next'" is a legitimate question.  I think that is
because the topic has no discussion on the list in the thread.

"Why is it in 'seen'" is a question with no answer.  As I often say,
'seen' is merely what I happened to have seen and found it promising
but is not ready for 'next', and people should not read anything
more into it.

I didn't look at it primarily because nobody, not even one on a
handful of experienced contributors whose opinions are well regarded
in the community on the CC: list, responded to the thread at all.
Before the message I am responding to, that is ;-)

I wanted to see how well people receive the motivation behind the
proposed change, as I vaguely recalled that not using both at the
same time was deliberate to help those who migrate from historical
location to XDG layout, but did not have time and energy to do the
digging myself to become knowledgeable again to give any comment
worth reading.