Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] revision: add rdiff_other_arg to rev_info

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2025 14:18:07 -0700

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Could it be as simple as `log_arg` or `log_args`?
>>
>> Yeah, that is much better than "other" (where it is unclear what are
>> the "primary" things that "others" are in contrast).
>
> I remember looking at the code and having that realization: Oh, *other*
> is *log*.  Huh.
>
> ... Maybe specifically `log_args` since it’s a `strvec`?  `git grep
> 'struct strvec'` seems to give me a lot of plural (style).

If you were asking me about singular vs plural, sorry, I didn't even
realize that was the quesiton being asked.

My personal preference is to name arrays singular so that you can
name its 0th element by saying dog[0], not dogs[0].  "dog[1] and
dog[2] are friends" not dogs[1] and dogs[2].  An exception is when
most of the time you use the array as a single unit as a collection,
passing it around in the call chain, rarely addressing each individual
element.  I am OK to see such an array called plural (but of course,
singular names are always fine)..

An instance of "struct strvec" may fall into the same category as
the latter.  A single "struct strvec args" may be used as a
collection of arguments passed to the program .

So, log_args is fine by me.