Subject: Re: [PATCH] mailmap: consolidate multiple addresses into one

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2025 15:52:31 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Consolidating to a single "forever" address is good.
>> 
>> It is a bit hard for us to convince ourselves that Wincent Colaiuta
>> and Greg Hurrel are the same person, though.  The only way I can
>> think of offhand is to leave this message in the mailing list
>> briefly and see if a different Wincent comes and complains ;-)
>
> I can vouch for Greg, having worked with him during our mutual time at
> GitHub that I greatly enjoyed, and can say with conviction that his GitHub
> handle @wincent corresponds to the name Wincent Colaiuta.

What a coincidence.

I declared "absense of objection is good enough" after waiting for a
few weeks, and applied the mailmap change directly to 'master' this
morning ;-)

Thanks.  It is nice to be supported by a positive confirmation, not
just absense of objection ;-)

> I can also guarantee that you will enjoy hearing the story behind it,
> although it might require you to buy Greg/Wincent a beer or two (which I
> guarantee you won't regret, either).