Subject: Re: [PATCH] imap-send: add option to mark sent messages as read or unread

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 10:55:38 -0700

Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On 23 Jul 2025, at 10:55 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> Aditya Garg <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> +imap.markAsRead::
>>> +    Choose whether to mark the sent message as read or not.
>> 
>> Is this something user typically want to use a single setting,
>> or would it often be per invocation?  Especially with the new
>> invoker in send-email, wouldn't it become more like "if I use
>> imap-send to stuff things in my outgoing folder, they shouldn't be
>> marked as read, but fcc copies send-email stuffs via imap-send
>> should be marked as read" or something like that?
>
> So whenever the user changes the folder, he can change this option too?

I am not sure what you mean.  If it is primarily per invocation, we
do not want a new configuration variable.  A new feature should be
introduced behind a command line option (disabled by default) first,
and then if it proves useful enough to wide audience, a configuration
is added for enhanced usability.  Adding a new configuration variable
at the same time an option is introduced smelled more like a spinal
reflection than a well thought out design.