Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 6/7] t/t1517: move verify-commit -h test to t1517

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2025 09:12:01 -0700

Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:

> The test 'verify-commit does not crash with -h' checks that
> the command exits cleanly with usage information, both inside and
> outside of a repository.
>
> Move this test from "t/t7510-signed-commit.sh" to
> "t1517-outside-repo.sh" since it better fits with tests that check
> command behavior outside a repository.
>
> Suggested-by: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t1517-outside-repo.sh  | 7 +++++++
>  t/t7510-signed-commit.sh | 7 -------
>  2 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

My first reaction to this series was "heh, you can cut it both ways;
a test to see how a command A works outside a repository can be a
test about command A (which is the way how the current test suite
looks at) or a test about being outside a repository (which this
topic tries to move into).

But this may be an example that shows why it is more error prone to
partition across "inside? outside?" axis.  These particular ones may
be limited to "should exit without crashing and without doing
anything fancy when asked to give a short help", so this move may
happen to be able to lose the GPG prerequisite without breaking
anything.

But in the longer run, we are very much likely that we'd want to
test something that needs things that require prerequisites (like
"do this only where XYZ is installed") but ought to work outside a
repository, which means t1517 would need to pull in things like
lib-gpg.sh only because it has a few tests about verify-blah
command.  These tend to accumulate over time.

So, I dunno.