Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] doc: use .adoc extension for AsciiDoc files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2025 10:05:09 -0800

"D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Do we pass SubmittingPatches (and CodingGuidelines for that matter)
>> through AsciiDoc?  They do not even have .txt suffix, so I suspect
>> it is not.
>
> I don't know how (I didn't dig), but we do build and package
> HTML-ified SubmittingPatches as both $(git
> --html-path)/SubmittingPatches.{html,txt}. I don't see a build output

I was wondering why we remove SubmittingPatches.txt with "make
clean" there the other day.  There is a Documentation/Makefile
target to create %.txt from % applied for SubmittingPatches.

> for CodingGuidelines, though. (We also package
> ReviewingGuidelines.{html,txt}, but it has a .txt extension.)

Thanks for noticing an annoying inconsistency that must be rectified
independent of brian's topic to help it easier for Editors to
identify the files that are written in AsciiDoc.  If we are shipping
documents that are exclusively meant for Git developers, we should
be shipping all of them together.

Thanks.