Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] clang-format: don't enforce the column limit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2024 15:32:19 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 24/10/09 05:55AM, Karthik Nayak wrote:
>> The current value for the column limit is set to 80. While this is as
>> expected, we often prefer readability over this strict limit. This means
>> it is common to find code which extends over 80 characters. So let's
>> change the column limit to be 0 instead. This ensures that the formatter
>> doesn't complain about code strictly not following the column limit.
>
> The column limit does lead to quite a few false positives. At the same
> time though, in some ways having a tool point out all the instances it
> occurs does make it easier to review if any should be addressed.
>
> If the goal is to have a CI job that we generally expect to pass, then
> it makes sense to remove it. I don't feel super strongly either way.

Is it possible for gatekeeper jobs to complain only on newly added
violations?  Then it is fine to have a limit with a bit of slack,
say like 96 columns (with 16-column readability slack).