Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] am: add explicit "--retry" option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 09:48:52 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think even without the test-terminal cleanup, this is a good thing.
>> Any time there is a heuristic like isatty(), we should have a way for
>> the user to be more explicit about what they want().
>
> I very often do "git am --no-3" to countermand a failed "git am -3"
> (or vice versa), so I'll be hit very hard with a need to retrain my
> fingers.  But I'll live ;-)

Ah, no, this is not about not paying attention to isatty(0), but
give us an additional way.  I can see how it would help our tests;
it would be nicer if the feature also has real world use.

But I no longer mind the option existing.

> "--retry" is a horrible word, in that it makes it sound like it will
> keep trying to apply the same patch over and over until it applies
> cleanly or something.  Can't we use "--continue" like everybody else
> (like "git rebase --continue", etc.), or would that be even more
> confusing?