Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/5] mv: replace src_dir with a strvec

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 07:56:29 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Anyway, that is about somebody else's patch, not this one ;-).
>
> Heh, good digging. I actually wondered if I was making the same mistake
> while writing mine, but double-checked that src_dir is not expanded in
> that way. But I didn't think to check Patrick's original. ;)
>
> IMHO it is probably still OK. We are bounded by the number of entries in
> the index (and we already use proportional memory for other parts of the
> operation).

Yes, I agree it is OK.  We have two arrays whose strings have to be
allocated, source[] and destination[], and used to have another
whose elements borrows from one of these, but with the change
instead of borrowing we now duplicate, but as long as the other
behefit outweigh the cost of additional memory usage, it is an
acceptable trade-off.

Thanks.