Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] improve interactive-patch

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:43:08 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... My
> reasoning was that 'p' does not do anything useful for the user, if
> they press it they end up with exactly the same content being printed
> to the screen ...

Actually I do not agree that it necessarily is useless that the same
content is shown.  Especially since we do not page, it is plausible
for a user, who saw a huge hunk, to want to tweak terminal setting
and raise scrollbuffer size (which may be set to 0 for usual
sessions, like me), and say "please show it again".  Or even in a
more primitive environment, just say "please show it again" and
immediately type \C-s to stop while the early part of the hunk is
shown ;-).

Thinking about the name of the option again, if we are omitting to
show a hunk in some situations, the request to ask for the current
hunk to be shown is "please show me", not "please reshow me", so the
verb 'print' may apply to wider situations than the verb 'reprint',
strictly speaking.

Thanks.