Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui - use git-hook, honor core.hooksPath

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:49:05 -0700

Pratyush Yadav <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the past, git-gui has tried to keep backward compatibility with all
> versions of Git, not just the latest ones. v2.36 is relatively new and
> this code would not work for anyone using an older version of Git.
>
> I have largely followed this practice for all the code I have written
> but I am not sure if it is a good idea to insist on it -- especially if
> it would end up adding some more complexity. I would be interested to
> hear what other people think about this.

Good point.

> Junio, I was under the impression that I would keep maintaining the tree
> until we found a replacement maintainer. If you are okay with being the
> interim maintainer, that sounds good to me. Let me know what works best.

I am actually not OK ;-).

I prefer to see somebody who does use git-gui, or at least somebody
who uses Git in a graphical environment in their daily work, to be
maintaining it.  I am disqualified on both counts.

> I have applied another patch since my last pull request. So I can apply
> this one, send you a new one and sync our trees.

OK.  I'll drop the copy I have on my end when it happens, then.

Thanks.