Subject: Re: git bug: Perl compatible regular expressions do not work as expected

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:11:15 -0700

Mario Grgic <[email-masked]> writes:

[administrivia: do not top post]

>> Mario Grgic <[email-masked]> writes:
>>  ...
>>> +	NO_REGEX = YesPlease
>>> 	PTHREAD_LIBS =
>>> endif
>> 
>> It will unfortunately break multibyte support on macOS by reverting
>> what 1819ad32 (grep: fix multibyte regex handling under macOS,
>> 2022-08-26) did.

> In my case, I compiled git with pcre2 support, using third party
> PCRE2 library: https://github.com/PCRE2Project/pcre2 and PCRE and
> multibyte support in git works with it just fine.

Sorry, you misunderstood.  1819ad32 is about enabling multi-byte
support for normal regexp types, and does not have anything to do
with pcre.  By setting NO_REGEX, the build will not link with
Apple's regex library but the one from compat/ and that version is
what is used for -G and -E (not -P).  -G/-E patterns with multi-byte
would not work with compat/ stuff, but they should work when linked
with Apple's regex library.