Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v3] apply: Change #define to enum and variable types from int to enum

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:11:05 -0800

Vinayak Dev <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As a faithful rewrite, forcing the same values to be given as before
>> by saying that "_DEFLATED must be 1" is a good thing to do, but once
>> the dust settled from the patch, it would be a good idea to go back
>> to the code and see if the values MUST be these, or if it is fine to
>> use any value as long as they are distinct.  If it is the latter,
>> then it would make a good follow-up patch to remove "= 1", with an
>> explanation why it is a safe thing to do.
>
> Removing the 1 _may_ be a safe thing to do, because ...

I didn't mean to suggest you think about it _NOW_ in the context of
working on this patch.  Rather the opposite.  Let's have a faithful
rewrite first and then as a follow-on work after this patch becomes
part of "git", a further clean-up like that can be a good idea.

>> > +enum diff_name {
>> > +     DIFF_OLD_NAME = 0,
>> > +     DIFF_NEW_NAME
>> > +};
>>
>> Ditto.
>
> I think that since enums start with zero by default, you are right in
> saying that the '=0' here can be removed.

Not what I meant.  I was referring to the lack of trailing comma.

> I will do so.

Please don't.

Thanks.