Subject: Re: [PATCH] maintenance: make unregister idempotent

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:31:46 -0700

Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I am not sure if this is a good idea.  What is the ultimate reason
>> why we want to allow running it blindly without knowing if it is
>> necessary?  Is it because there is no easy way to tell if unregister
>> is needed in the first place?
>
> We want to leave the internal details of what it means to be
> registered as hidden to the user. They could look for the repo in
> the global config, but that seems like a hassle when they just
> want to make sure they are not currently registered. 

OK, so there is no published officially sanctioned way to ask "is
this repository under maintenance's control and cron jobs run in
it?" or "give me the list of such repositories".  

Then I can see why you want to allow users to blindly run
"unregister", with or without "--force".

But doesn't it point at a more fundamental problem?  

Is there a reason why we want to hide the list of repositories
(enlistments?) from the users?