Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] t0021: implementation the rot13-filter.pl script in C

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:37:33 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would like to encourage you to think of ways how this project could
> avoid the cost (mental space, reviewer time, back and forth between
> contributor and reviewer) of such trivial code formatting issues.

I do not need your encouragement.  I am sure the submitter could
have run clang-format or checkpatch.pl or whatever and noticed the
issue.  Small style diversions in submitted patches are distracting
enough to prevent me from concentrating on and noticing problems in
the more important aspects like correctness and leakiness.  That is
why people get formatting issues pointed out and CodingGuidelines
talks about styles.

Checkpatch is OK, but IIRC, you cannot ask to check "only the code I
changed in this patch" to clang-format, which may be the show
stopper.  Otherwise, I would quite welcome an automated "pre-flight"
automation, like "make" target, that submitters can use and GGG can
help them use.

Thanks.