Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 4/6] serve: advertise object-info feature

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 11:47:32 -0700

Calvin Wan <[email-masked]> writes:

> And we update the docs to say "type" is now supported by
> object-info. If a user now attempts to request "size" and "type"
> from a server that has not been updated to support "type",
> then the user gets an error message "object-info: unexpected
> line: 'type'", which is another situation that is a bad experience
> for older clients.

Is it?  older clients by definition does not know about "type", no?

I am perfectly happy with the capability advertisement to say not
just "object-info", but also what attributes of objects you can be
queried, by the way.  If clients right now (i.e. without this
series) expect that the other side who advertises "object-info"
without "=<these>,<attributes>,<are>,<supported>" supports only
"size", for example, perhaps treat the bare "object-info" capability
just as a synonym of "object-info=size", or something?

I do not deeply care either way, to be honest, as the deployed
clients with bare "object-info" will not survive for a long time
and will quickly be deprecated anyway.  I just wanted to see the
reasoning behind the decision to ignore them.

Thanks.