Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] cli: add -v and -h shorthands

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 09:02:39 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Do you mean you want to use "-V" for version, instead of the "-v"
>> used in the patch, so that "-v" can be left for "--verbose"?
>>
>> I am not sure consistency with whom we are aiming for anymore with
>> that mixed to the proposal X-<.
>
> Maybe you've been convinced to accept -v and -h (I don't care much
> either way, honestly), but if not I wonder if this alternate approach
> would make everyone in this thread happy (or at least mostly so):

I don't care too much about being similar to stuff made by other
people, compared to how much I care about internal consistency ;-)

I do not think one extra level of "unknown option", even with hint,
is worth the trouble.  If we want to cater to those who expect "-h"
to be more special than random "-<some single letter>", we should go
all the way and make "-h" truly supported.  If we do not, they can
read "git help git" just like those who wonder what "git -X" means.