Subject: Re: [PATCH] reftable: avoid initializing structs from structs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:00:30 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Would make sense to steal the compiler version etc. details from my
>> <[email-masked]>. I.e. eventually
>> we'll be able to change this & other code back, as nobody will care
>> about that older compiler version. It worked before in the pre-image on
>> a more recent xlc.
>
> If so, wouldn't it be a better option not to worry about such an old
> compiler at all from the get-go?

The above was a genuine question.  If that "nobody will care about
the old compiler" will happen only after a few years, then it may
not work to just ignore the version of xlc which might still have
a meaningful number of users.  I just am not in a good position to
judge that.

Thanks.