Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/4] refs: trim newline from reflog message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:55:16 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Ah, perhaps our confusion comes from the fact that I view the ref
>> API as a whole and do not draw a fine line of distinction between
>> the "ref API implementation common across backends" vs "what ref
>> files backend does".  But as the implementor of one backend, you
>> obviously have to care.
>
> Having the read function return something different than what the
> write gets still seems odd to me.
> How about having copy_reflog_msg() trim trailing space and then always add LF?
>
> The files backend can assert that the string ends in LF, and doesn't
> need to add LF itself.

Ehh, let's step back a bit.

Is there anything in the common part and files backend in ref API
that needs to be changed to fix some bug?  I do not see anything
broken that needs to be fixed by "assert that the string ends in LF
and doesn't need to add LF itself" or by "always add LF".