Subject: Re: [PATCH] editor: only save (and restore) the terminal if using a tty

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:35:30 -0800

Carlo Arenas <[email-masked]> writes:

> yes, my plan was to minimize the impact of this bugfix by doing this
> as narrow as possible, but you are correct that if we consider that
> ...
> I should have mentioned though that a better fix was forthcoming, just
> not with so little time before 2.34.1 gets released.
> ...
>> In any case, I am quite tempted to just revert the offending topic
>> for now, but later accept a resurrection patch with this isatty
>> check rolled in (either at this caller, or inside save_term) when
>> the dust settles.
>
> I indeed suggested[1] a revert but I wouldn't have proposed this
> alternative if it wouldn't be done safely enough,

I think the minimum impact fix is to revert the whole thing (people
survived without it for long time), so that is what 2.34.1 will
hopefully have.  As I said elsewhere, I am open to a rebooted effort
for the future cycles, but the conclusion for the topic in 2.34 series
is that we pretend we never heard about it ;-)

Thanks.