Subject: Giving priority to the reftable topic (was Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2021, #06; Mon, 16))

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:09:11 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> * hn/reftable (2021-08-16) 25 commits
>  - t1404: annotate test cases with REFFILES
>  ...
>  - hash.h: provide constants for the hash IDs
>
>  The "reftable" backend for the refs API.

As discussed in the thread that leads to [*1*], this topic has been
blocked by the "clean-up errno use in the refs subsystem" topic for
too long.  I think it deserves to have its own chance to be looked
at by more eyes.

I've reverted the three topics around "errno" out of 'next', while
rebasing them into a single strand of pearls, and queued them near
the tip of 'seen'.  The hn/reftable topic is merged into 'seen' 
earlier then these "errno" topics.

'seen' that has this topic, without merging known CI breakers (the
three "errno" topics are known to break when they are with the
hn/reftable topic, and the "builtin fsmonitor" also breaks CI),
passes the usual tests [*2*], except for the "pedantic" test we
recently added [*3*].

The breakage flagged by the compiler are all:

	char *fn = get_tmp_template(__FUNCTION__);

where the code expects that __FUNCTION__ is unconditionally
available.

With that problem fixed (which I would imagine should be easier than
brain surgery), we should be able to move the topic lower in 'seen',
hopefully touching 'next' soon to give it a wider exposure.

And when hn/reftable gets stable enough, the "errno clean-up" topic
can perhaps be rebased on top of it to work better together.

Thanks.

[Reference]

*1* https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

*2* https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/1148914175

*3* https://github.com/git/git/runs/3377289487?check_suite_focus=true#step:5:639