Subject: Re: Renaming "non-contrib" things out of contrib/* (was "Re: [Bug] git-credential-netrc.perl[...]")

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 15:51:34 +0900

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wonder if just a top-level completion/* wouldn't be best, or if we
> want to group them all together something like
> optional/{completion,credential}/ or other name suggesting that these
> are meant to interact with not-always-present 3rd party software. Maybe
> integrations/* ?

Add-ons?

I think dispelling the conception by distro people must begin with
an update to contrib/README where it clearly says these are
"contributed software" that are not part of "Git".  They are not
something we stand behind like what we have in the rest of the
source tree.

Also, the description there is rather stale.  For example, the last
paragraph must go as its entirety.  The ecosystem has expanded
thousand-fold since the document was written, and we no longer
encourage people to add new things to contrib/ directory at all.  We
instead encourage them to write and sell their ware on their own
merit alone, without planning to "borrow" authority and gain undue
advantage over its competitors by being in the contrib/ area in our
tree.
.