Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/9] rebase -i: generate the script via rebase--helper

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:49:04 -0700

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> This changes the behaviour of
> git -c rebase.instructionFormat= rebase -i
> The shell version treats the rebase.instructionFormat being unset or set
> to the empty string as equivalent. This version generates a todo list
> with lines like 'pick <abbrev sha1>' rather than 'pick <abbrev sha1>
> <subject>'
>
> I only picked this up because I have a script that does 'git -c
> rebase.instructionFormat= rebase -i' with a custom sequence editor.

Sorry to hear that.  As there is no way to unset a configuration
variable from the command line, "git -c var=" like you did above is
the best we can do, and that why treating unset and empty variable
the same way is often necessary.  It seems that Dscho gave an ack to
your message, so hopefully the final version would not have such a
regression.

Thanks for an early warning.