Subject: Re: [PATCH] log: support 256 colors with --graph=256colors

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 11:06:58 -0800

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> .... But I think I could approach it a different way:
> collect colors that have names. That reduces the number of colors so
> we can go back to "step 1 at a time" and still don't run into two
> similar colors often.

I suspect that there is a "cultural" bias that makes the idea
unworkable.  I haven't found a definitive source, but I think there
are a lot more hues and shades of red that have names than hues and
shades of blue, for example.

If I were doing this, I'd just prepare a table with 32 color slots
or so [*1*], start at a random spot (say 017:00005f) of

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xterm_256color_chart.svg, 

and pick spots by jumping southeast like a chess knight
(i.e. 017->030->043->086->...) until the table is filled, wrapping
around at the edge of that color chart as necessary.

[Footnote]

*1* ...because I do not think the thin graph lines painted in too
many colours on the screen would be easily distinguishable from each
other anyway.