Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/2] git diff <(command1) <(command2)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 13:10:30 -0800

Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 14.11.2016 19:01:
>> Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> *My* idea of --no-index was for it to behave as similar to the
>>> --index-version as possible, regarding formatting etc., and to be a good
>>> substitute for ordinary diff. The proposed patch achieves exactly that -
>>  ...
> It's not clear to me what you are saying here - 1/2 makes git diff
> follow symbolic links, yes, just like ordinary diff.

Yes, which can be seen as deviating from your earlier "as similar to
the --index version as possible" goal, which I think was where Dscho's
complaint comes from.

I _think_ the no-index mode was primarily for those who want to use
our diff as a replacement for GNU and other diffs, and from that
point of view, I'd favour not doing the "comparing symbolic link?
We'll show the difference between the link contents, not target"
under no-index mode myself.  That is a lot closer to the diff other
people implemented, not ours.  Hence the knee-jerk reaction I gave
in

http://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]