Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 11/12] convert: add filter.<driver>.process option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:45:40 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> packet:          git< git-filter-protocol\n
> packet:          git< version=2\n
> packet:          git< capabilities=clean smudge\n

During the discussion on the future of pack-protocol, it was pointed
out that having to shove all capabilities on a single line/packet
was one of the things we would want to fix in the current protocol
when we revamp to v2.  As this exhange between the convert machinery
and an external process is a brand new one, I do not think you want
to mimic the limitation in the current pack protocol like this; the
limitation mostly came from the constraint that we cannot break
existing pack protocol clients and servers before we extended the
protocol to add capabilities.

You may not foresee that the caps won't grow very long beyond
clean/smudge right now, just like we did not foresee that we would
wish to be able to convey a lot longer capability values to the
other side when we added the capability exchange to the pack
protocol, so "but but but we will never have that many" is not a
good counter-argument.